Monday, July 9, 2007

Islamica

Last time I went to Wardah Books at Bussorah Street I got hold of the last two issues of Islamica Magazine. It's certainly a handsome publication and has maintained high standards (now up to issue 19) in terms of both design (it looks classy) and content. The two issues have been great to dip into, and I've just realised there's an on-line version here, though I've not had much of a look at this yet. The highlight of the latest issue - a wide-ranging interview with Noam Chomsky. As usual he provides refreshing (and frightening) perspectives on just about every major geo-political issue you can think of. For those who are fond of the phrase 'big picture' the professor provides a lesson in terms of realising the scope & depth of such a perspective.

A contentious question - for myself: Does Islam provide the only really major intellectual position from which to launch a thorough-going critique of capitalism? (I'm sure Chomsky would disagree, but it sometimes seems that way to me.)

No comments: