Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Out Of Nam

The first time you visit a country is generally an overwhelming experience with so much that's new to take in. My first visit to Vietnam held to the pattern, leaving me with too much to make sense of to do justice to the experience this late at night. I'll try and record something of value in the next few days, though with a wedding at Melaka to attend this weekend my efforts will be fitful at best.

One thing I am pleased about is the sheer amount of physical activity I managed to get through in our six days. Even in Hanoi, the easy part of the trip, I got to the fitness centre in the hotel a couple of times. At Ha Long Bay I survived the rigours of mangrove planting (not for the faint hearted), a game of beach football, two pretty steep climbs, a couple of hours of kayaking and at least one fairly long swim from beach to boat. I couldn't have done all that three years ago, that's for sure.

No comments: